MBP: 017 The Power of Branding and Why HR Should be Marketing With Joe Weinlick
Joe Weinlick is the Senior Vice President of Beyond, a career network which, in the words of Joe himself, is “probably the biggest job site in the country you’ve never heard of.” Joe says he got into marketing by mistake as he graduated with an English degree and started working for an organization that made use of creative writing. It was here that learned all about what makes an organization great.
In the late 90’s, he would jump into the tech bubble for a startup firm as it started crashing down. This made him start his own digital marketing firm for the Brownstein Group. There, he did branding work until he finally went with Beyond and stayed.
Today, Joe gives us all the reasons why HR should be marketing, why most job ads fail to attract the right people, and why telling a story in recruitment is just as important as telling a story in a commercial. He also shares his outlook for the future of marketing.
“No one belongs to just one niche.” Joe Weinlick
This Week on The Marketing Boss Podcast:
- The trend in marketing boils down to how to get smarter at delivering the right content to the right people.
- The good brands are out there to establish themselves, so they built a brand that people want to be a part of and wouldn’t mind paying a premium for it.
- To create a great ad or story, it should start by creating a vision that people inside the company believe in. HR are the ones best to tell that story.
- The HR department may place more ads than marketing in the form of job ads.
- Recruiting should fall in marketing. It’s a marketing function to recruit people and bring people to the company.
- In marketing, we have a responsibility for everything a company does, but we have almost no authority over anything.
- Joe’s marketing outlook is a future where both branding and Big Data are merged as one. Marketing needs to evolve to adapt both data science and cultural anthropology.
Joe’s Words of Wisdom:
- On any given day, there are probably a hundred things you can do. As marketing, there are million things we need to be doing.
- Make sure you do away with things you need to do quickly without losing focus on long term impact. In a growing company, the small things won’t be noticed, but the impact you make in the long term will.
Connect with Joe Weinlick:
Become a Marketing Boss & Never Miss an Episode!
Stay up-to-date on today’s best marketing tips, strategies, and tools by subscribing to the Marketing Boss Podcast! Each week, we interview top marketing professionals in the industry to help you stay current in what’s working in today’s marketing and advertising industry. Visit our website, subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher, follow Parchelle Hotten on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn so you never miss an episode! Don’t forget to leave us a 5-star review to help us reach even more marketing bosses just like you! You can also hang out with us in our private LinkedIn group – The Marketing Boss Club