MBP:024 Stop That! The Things You’re Doing Wrong on Social Media with Jeff Gibbard
Jeff Gibbard is known as strategist, keynote speaker, and content producing machine and boy does he love content. As great as he is in the marketing scene, he himself doesn’t consider his job to be as a marketer, but rather as a business consultant.
Before his current work at True Voice Media, Jeff tried his hand at so many businesses including a personal chef service. He ended up going to business school because he realized he had no idea how to properly run a business. It was there where he did a study focused on emerging social media platforms back in 2008 like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. He took advantage of the social media boom and never looked back.
Today, Jeff talks about the many wrong things marketers are doing on social media, his tips on how to improve their marketing strategies, and some of his pet peeves.
“Social media is a democratizing force that gives everyone a voice, gives us the ability to stop asking permission, go around the gatekeepers and create our own destiny.” Jeff Gibbard
This Week on The Marketing Boss Podcast:
- Is there a right and wrong in social media marketing?
- What is the right thing to do on Twitter for content marketing?
- Why is the Auto DM welcome message on Twitter a bad idea?
- Why TrueTwit is just bad for business.
- The link between ads and audience fragmentation.
- The importance of being human on social media.
- Why we need to be slow and methodical about marketing on social media.
- His tips on what social media marketers should just stop doing.
Jeff’s Words of Wisdom:
- Social media has become angry, noisy, and automated.
- Marketing shortcuts in social media ruins the whole social aspect of it.
- Actually caring or sounding like you care is better than outright selling to people as if they want to buy your products.
Connect with Jeff Gibbard:
Become a Marketing Boss & Never Miss an Episode!
Stay up-to-date on today’s best marketing tips, strategies, and tools by subscribing to the Marketing Boss Podcast! Each week, we interview top marketing professionals in the industry to help you stay current in what’s working in today’s marketing and advertising industry. Visit our website, subscribe to the show on iTunes or Stitcher, follow Parchelle Hotten on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn so you never miss an episode! Don’t forget to leave us a 5-star review to help us reach even more marketing bosses just like you! You can also hang out with us in our private LinkedIn group – The Marketing Boss Club.